Saturday, August 8, 2015

My Favorite SKETCHES

Hello Everyone!

While you are here check out my new blog/sketch journal devoted to my drawing from Life Drawings. 


 Frank's Rough LifeRough Sketches in Life Drawing. (get it?!)






In this post I like share with you my personal favorite sketches of my own work.
These are sketches and excludes my paintings.  These are sketches I'm somewhat proud of what what I accomplished.

Most of these sketches were ones I did just for fun.

Lido - Bonhuer


On my 2nd wedding Anniversary My wife and I had such a romantic night in the City of Love (Paris), After a romantic Eiffel Tower view restaurant. We went to see Paris' most chic Cabaret... Lido. 

 Lido has been around since the 1940s. It is locate on Champs Elsees and is like two blocks from the Arc Di Triomphe. The theme the current show was called "Bonheur."
 

That show's theme had ended it's 13 year run this past December and Started it's new theme back in April. It was such an amazing show. So I decided to make this colored pencil sketch. Of a phoney Poster.


I did base the lead girl off the one who performed that night. My original idea was to have the girls in front of the Arc Di Triomphe, and have the purple Parisian Skyline behind it.
But the paraphernalia from two dancers in the back started to cover it completely, and had no choice....
 ....I decided just to Put it as part of the skyline, but in the end I came close to what I wanted.

My Dog Penny Helped out too...

Bambi Meets [the 2014 US] Godzilla

. Most Godzilla and cartoons fans remember this award winning student short film from the 1960s.


Months After the release of the 2014 Warner Bros/ Legendary Pictures Godzilla and seeing that he turned out being a Babyface that saved the city. It inspired me to make this heartwarming version of what if Bambi met this Godzilla.

Stone Cold E.T.

 This one I based off a Video co-workers told me about which turned out to be a man going through a drive-thru wearing and E.T. mask and doing a spot on impression of Stone Cold Steve Austin. 
But this is what I pictured when they told me about it.


Rape of Kong


This is based off the famous scene from the original 1933 King Kong and the scene that was lost for decades.
 And if you read my postings back in 2009-2010 about My Godzilla Vs. King Kong sketch series this sketch is sort of a prequel to this one sketch I did in 2010 which a few girls gave me heat for.....
..... "why did you that to Kong he's the Romantic one". Well since I said in Bambi sketch above of how this new Godzilla is a good guy, I'm giving them a reminder that Kong abducted a girl against her own will and at one point stripped her.

As for the sketch it was a lot fun drawing this in pencil giving it that 1930s feel. The Ann Darrows-like girl I based off Amy Adams and it's hard to make out Kong pulling the sling of her robe. But I loved having Godzilla cut his throat and believe it or not next to the Metropolitan Life Tower the size is accurate. It was a lot of fun drawing classic 30s Kong over the Peter Jackson Kong like in the previous drawings.

St. Bettie Page


I drew this shortly after Bettie passed away years ago. (which I posted on here 6 years ago).
I made an egg tempera painting of this back in 2010 but it didn't come close to what I achieved here.

Now the next two are my top 2 favorites.....


Mel Blanc - Man of 1,000 Voices


Now this is one I wanted to do a story on for quite some time. I always was a huge Looney Tunes & Hanna-Barbera fan since I can remember my earliest childhood memories. As well as the voices of Mel Blanc. Now if I can hang out with anyone famous & Deceased it would definitely be this guy!
Last year I picked up a copy of Mel's memoir from 1988 That's Not All Folks. I really enjoyed reading it, especially made me realize what a great guy he was and how he would be in his person. The most amazing part was when he was in a car accident back in 1961 that left him comatose with a 1 in Million chance of surviving, the doctor went up to him and asked "How are we feeling Bugs Bunny" and the Mel responded to him in Bugs' voice. Who'da think the cartoons he voiced would save his life.

Well last summer shortly after reading it gave me an idea to do a series of tribute to voice acting which I drew.
Mae Questel (for voicing Betty Boop & Olive Oyl)











Walt Disney (for voicing Mickey)
(If you didn't get it The "Hot Dog" is Mickey's catchphrase and first onscreen words")


And of Course Mel Blanc

Seeing How busy the sketch was I had no choice to color the characters in but in the end that's how they were meant to be scene. 

As you can see I have a few gags going on in the picture.
*Tweetie Pie painted a white Stripe on Sylvester's back to look like a skunk which attracts Pepe Le Pew.
*Speedy Gonzales is racing against Cecil Turtle
*Barney Rubble Chiseled a statue of his wife which turned into a Venus De Milo thanks to Dino
*Wyle E. Cyotoe & Taz are feasting on the Roadrunner who is already mounted.
* and a FAQ I get the.... The little mouse next to Heathcliff is Tucker Mouse from the Chuck Jones animated adaption of A Cricket in Time Square (a beautiful cartoon)

These characters are so much fun to draw.

and last and certainly not least.

Paperman's Date

When I went to see Wreck-It Ralph in theatres it was this cartoon short that premiered before it that stole the show.... and a 2013 academy award.
Disney's Paperman
Not only was this a beautiful heartwarming cartoon and story it also proved that 2D animation is far from dead.

Well it gave me an idea and made me wonder what there life would be like after the movie.
Well I would call it a first date but the end credits pretty much depicted their first date.
But  I guess this would be the date they fall in love.

The view is based off one of the most beautiful views in NYC atop the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
The sketch still has the 1940s feel to it especially that Empire State Building is missing it's antenna.
I wanted to steer clear of Disney's style and give it a touch of semi-realism.

Well these are my most favorite proud sketches (excluding my life drawings)

Check up shortly and I will upload my best paintings!

No comments: