Sunday, October 26, 2014

Victoria's Secret Admirer





Well another year passes by with no posts, but only cause I haven't had much to say. But this blog I'd like to pay tribute in art and pictures to one of my favorite athletes. For those of you who don't know me my name is Frank I am an illustrator and back in the day I used to be such a huge wrestling fan.  This post I pay tribute to is a person I'd like to consider a friend named


Lisa Marie Varon (aka Victoria of the WWE amd Tara Rizing of TNA/IMPACT)


She happens to be my favorite female wrestler of all time (well she has been for the past ten years so that's gotta be true)

In late 2003 She had been an active competitor in the WWF (I know it's not called that anymore but my blog, my rules). Her stage name was just "Victoria" (yeah that's it, no last name).  I was working as an usher at Madison Square Garden and had the privilege working ringside for a WWF House Show (an untelevised event where you can get away with a lot) at the time she was a top heel in the women's division but when she came down the aisle she was slapping hands with the fans holding a big smile on her face which heels never do. I said to myself "Wow she must be a really nice person."

2004 - We Met Twice
    Victoria had become a top babyface competitor and my admiration for her had grew more and that summer the WWF came back to the Garden and unfortunately missed her entering the arena via parking lot. However when I went to go check my bag I bumped into her by elevator and introduced myself talked for a less than a minute and she was really sweet (and gorgeous in person).

Months later I actually had tickets that night for Raw and while waiting to enter the arena not only did I meet her again I got my first autograph and picture with her.
But something was missing usually when I meet my favorite celebs I make them a sketch and I never gave her one so I made it my mission to do that.

2005 - The year long journey of the first sketch
Thanks to my Garden credentials I scored myself front row seats to a House Show in late February. I played hookey from class that day and waited all day in the freezing cold for her to arrive and this time I came prepared with a sketch.

However thanks to the cold and snow her limo pulled right into the garage not passing through the fans.  When it was time for her match with Trish Stratus she passed by slapped my hand on the way to the ring as I held up the sketch she paused and smiled point to the pic (I was hinting at her to take it).
Unfortunately I think she won the match by disqualification or lost by interference and she exited the ring the opposite side so their went my plans to give her the sketch.

In May:
     The WWF returned for a big event at the Garden and I once again waited with my sketch by the parking lot entrance but she was not seen once.

November -Third Times the Charm
     Lisa Marie/ Victoria was coming to my hometown (at the time) Staten Island you can believe I was ecstatic. She was having an autograph signing at the Time Warner Cable store and all you needed was your cable bill. I woke up bright and early, would you know it... I was first to arrive. I had in my hand the sketch and my 8x10's. I was chatting with the store manager and security and they were pretty much rooting for me. As the doors opened to let me in I don't know what anyone told her cause as I came to her table she had her arms wide open and gave me a big hug I literally was on the verge of tears cause I waited so long to give her the damn sketch.


 But there's nothing else I can say about it She's one of the most sweetest people you'll ever meet.

Sounds like a happy ending but Years would pass that sketch would end up on her myspace page and it got quite a bit of negative reviews from fans but what hurt most was she replied saying "Not the best likeness, but I appreciate the effort."

That kind of hurt but ironically I wasn't upset  my skills improved over the years and said that next time I see her she'll get an even better sketch.

____________________

In 2009 she announced her retirement from wrestling and shortly ended  up at WWF's Rival company TNA/IMPACT Wrestling. I pretty much didn't blame her from late 2005-2009 the company disrespected her gave major pushes to all the eye candy divas and worse of all made her put over most of her matches which is a bummer cause she was such a devastating in-ring performer. And had one of the best finishing moves in the entire business "The Widows Peak" (much better than a running legdrop or an elbowdrop off the top rope)
Her new in-ring persona was Tara Rizing where she dyed part of her hair red and carried a Caged Tarantula to the ring


2010 - Wizard World Philly

She was going to be at my favorite annual convention for the weekend. I was looking forward and at the last minute penciled an 11x17 sketch of her where I put in a mix of her TNA character attribute & a touch of Botticelli's Venus. I wanted to be more creative and avoid just a simple sketch from a photo.


Well I wasn't fully satisfied but It was the best I could do at last short notice.

When I approached her table she saw me and a pic we took together and she said "I remember you, you made me a sketch last time" (I forgot to mention it is known she is great at remembering faces)
She was very happy with the new sketch. I know cause she did something nice for me in return.

This time I saw a lot of positive feedback on the sketch. >Whew< 

I did drop by her table occasionally that weekend it was cool to have actual conversations although I think there may have been moments I overstayed my welcome.


Today
Been 10 years since we first met. She has been officially retired since her unfortunate termination from TNA for quite a while.. she now owns a wrestling themed restaurant in Chicago called The Squared Circle.

This weekend I finally got to see Lisa Marie once again at the Chiller Theatre Convention in NJ.

Days ago I tried to think up another cool idea for a sketch but when i saw pics of her and her long red & black hair I came up with the idea to draw her as one of my favorite fictional characters, Medusa. Of course to the people who read my pasts blog know I'm a big Greek Mythology fan. I was more than please this time with the sketch. I made Hogan as the frozen victim since his poses are very Greek Myth-like  and eye candy diva Candice Michelle (as a Venus DeMilo since I saw the real statue three weeks ago).  Well Lisa Marie as Medusa is quite fitting since I tend to turn to stone every time I meet her.


My encounter was quite brief but well worth it. 
When I finally found her table through the claustrophobic crowd, I waved to her and she came over to me gave me a hug and said it was good to see me. It was a great surprise since I somewhat changed in appearance since the last encounter. I showed her the sketch she loved it. And Posed for the picture

She was more overjoyed when she found out it was for her (she thought we were posing with it and I'm like you should know by now). She thought the Venus De Milo part with the broken arms holding a belt was hilarious.
 I came back into the room later to check out the other vendors it got way crowded and she was mobbed. But As I left outside she was passing right by and she gave me a final goodbye hug. It was good to see her yet again.

I'll never forget back in the day I had WWF Divas magazine and a fellow classmate (Ms. Degen) saw a picture of Stacy Kiebler and she said "She's the prettiest one why ain't she your favorite" and I just shook my head at her. My admiration for Lisa Marie Varon has been over her talents, her in-ring skills, yes her looks, and most of all the way she treats her fans.

I hope one day my Wife & I can see her at Squared Circle in the future. Thank You Lisa Marie for the memories.

No comments: